1964 Crown floor pan

I don't know what that stuff is, but I wire wheeled it off using a grinder with a wire rope cupped wheel attachment, used eastwood rust encapsulator over rust-mort, and then sprayed undercoating all over and thick.  the undercoating dampens vibration and road noise, and it's going to be invisible under the carpet, so I laid it on thick.  Almost as good as Dynamat but much less weight.

Your bolts are probably surface rusted?  Try bumping them on a wire wheel?  Re-assemble whatever you put in there with grease on the threads and they'll be ready for you to swap out again in 50 years and easier to break loose.  Mine looked rotten but cleaned up nicely.  Since I'm not doing much jumping in the old girl, I doubt that there's a tremendous amount of stress on those bolts if they're all there and tightened evenly.

-Kenyon

Mark and Theresa Elliott <deadfishe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have recently removed the carpet from my Imperial, and I am now in the
process of scraping the remnants off the floor pan so that I can address
the rust. What is that stuff? It looks like undercoating. Was this
normal? Was there paint under it--I can't tell, about all I can see under
it is rust or what could be either bare metal or
primer/paint. Surprisingly, even with as much rust as there is, yet again
no rust through.

Also, the bolts that hold the body to the frame (at least I presume that is
what they are for) seem to be quite rusty. Are these special bolts, and if
so is there anywhere that I can get them? I figure as long as I have
things to this state I may as well replace them (plus I would hate to have
them break when I really need them). Is there anything else that I should
replace while I am replacing the bolts?

Thanks,

Mark Elliott
1964 Crown 4 dr