Source for '59 steering column bearing/frt end shimmy

Source for '59 steering column bearing/frt end shimmy

I don't remember if I have already offered this or not, but it sounds to me
like your front end is shimmying. The steering column would never suddenly fail
like that. A severe shimmy due to a loose wheel or worn tie rods would make
your steering wheel feel like it is wobbling inside the column tube.

Years ago I was driving along in my then recently aquired '62 Imperial when I
hit a rut in the road. That set off a shimmy that made it feel like the entire
car was about to fall apart. If there was such a thing as a "whole car bearing"
I would have thought it had failed. Luckily, I was smarter than that I had an
idea where to look for the problem.

It turned out that the right outer tie rod end was about to fall apart.
Replacing it made the problem go away.

I also drove a '60 Imperial once that was for sale. It started wobbling
(shimmying) at about 35 mph and wouldn't go away until the car came to a
complete stop.

A "shimmy" is much more severe than the feeling that we are use to from an out
of balance tire.

Paul