Re: Re: IML: 68 carpeting??

> The signifigant thing that is sub-par about the
> replacement carpet I got from ACC by way of Original
> Auto Interiors is the padding.
>
> The original padding is about one inch thick, heavy,
> cut and formed to the floor.
>
> What comes with the new carpet is thin, light weight
> and sparse. The amount of padding is substatially
> less than original. That is to say, the padding
> The original padding looks like old-fashioned floor
> rug padding made from wool. Perhaps it is still
> available. An enthusiastic '68 owner could cut his
> own padding to fit, then lay new carpet over it.

I just did a "custom" rug job on another old car, and
I used household carpet with some of that grey
wool-ish padding.  I trimmed it all to fit and it
actually works fairly well.  The carpet doesn't fit
perfectly, as it came in a flat roll and not formed,
but the padding can be done to cover just about
everything.  Its not very expensive, and Lowes, Home
Depot, et al stock it in rolls.  And it is QUIET.  If
one wishes to preserve the "Imperial Flavor" of the
ride quality, I'd strongly suggest augmenting the
carpet backing.

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

One point eight litres