'68 running warm <--my '67, too!

In addition to the obvious cooling system issues (the previously mentioned
thermostat and such), you are indeed wise to check the timing and plugs.
Pinging causes the car to run much hotter, and I was able to cure most of my
'67's hot-running ills by switching to the Autolite 85 spark plugs I am now
so fond of. Switching to the Autolites cured my car's pinging tendency,
which brought the highway driving temperature down to the beginning of the
normal range. Once I recored the radiator, the car runs, as others have
noted, between C and the left end of the normal range, under nearly all
conditions.

Try the new plugs and setting the timing to spec and let us know what you
find!

Chris in LA
67 Crown
78 NYB Salon