'68 running warm <--my '67, too!

> 68) - I temporarily bent up some coathangers from
> the motel closet to force
> the blades to turn with the pulley all the time.
> Noisy as hell, but it sure cooled the engine down!
>
> Dick Benjamin

Dick Benjamin, or MacGeyver...you be the judge!

On a serious note, I've noticed my own '67 running a
bit on the warm side now that the daytime temps in our
nation's capital have broken the 90 degree mark.  At
idle, its fine, however the faster I go, the warmer
the needle registers.  This seems counter-intuitive,
since there would be more air rushing past the
radiator at, say, 90 than at a stoplight (Not that I
EVER drive 90...no, not me.)  At idle, the gauge will
return to and sit at the mark indicating the bottom of
the "operating range" on the gauge, but above 55 or so
it will begin climbing.  It stays within the
"operating range" but gets into the top 1/3 of it,
which I consider a bit too warm.  My old '67 would
stay in the same place regardless of driving
conditions.

My own thoughts tend towards something wrong with the
engine itself, ie timing wrong, plugs, mixture, etc,
rather than a defect in the cooling system.  Am I on
the right track here?

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

One point eight litres