"56 Automatic choke heat tube

Gary:

If it is the same as 58, the tube runs through the exhaust manifold and is blocked at the bottom end. There is a small chamber between the manifold and the cylinder head with a small cross drilled hole through the tube. This is the fresh air inlet for the choke. If you can’t blow air freely through the tube that is a good sign, at least it is not burnt out inside the manifold. Mine was burnt out so I drilled it out from both ends and replaced it with a piece of stainless steel tube with the end welded up, oem part is next to impossible to find. The other points made regarding operation are all correct.

Ernie