odemeter roll back

In our state (Washington), this is only a violation of the law if the car is
newer, the mileage is mis-stated on the title, and the car is sold without
disclosing to the purchaser that the alleged mileage is different from the
actual mileage due to a roll back. In other words if the mileage is changed to
increase the value of a newer car, and deceive the buyer, it is illegal.

This doesn't apply to older vehicles which are classified as being "past their
useful life span". In Washington, mileage disclosure is not required on the
title when the car is either over 10 years old or past 100,000 miles.

Paul