Very good comments, Elijah!

In looking in the Chilton Crash Manual last night, I noted that ALL of the factory part numbers for the steering linkage was different.  I was further surprised when the parts use went back to '67 also.  I found that interesting considering the isolated engine "cradle" of the '67-'68 Imperials (which the same year C-body cars did not have) and then the new items on the '69-'73 Fuselage Imperials.

Just to satisfy my own curiousity on this issue, I do intend to find some of my '70s vintage replacement parts books and do some further research. I know some of you have already been through this, but this whole deal is a learning experience for me.  I also know that on some of the smaller Chrysler platforms, they did some mid-cycle parts changes for unknown reasons (at least to some) and what the lay person might consider "no good reason", but as one transmission entrepreneur once told me about Chrysler engineering versus Brand X, "When Chrysler changes something, there is a reason whereas when Brand X changes something, it's more who's making the decisions that day, in many cases".

As for the aftermarket/replacement side of the parts industry, I went into the Federal Mogul website today (www.federal-mogul.com) and then went to the"North America" and then the "Aftermarket" area where all of their brands are displayed (which include Moog and TRW).  From there, I went to the parts lookup area and keyed in 1973 Chrysler Imperial to look for idler arms and such.  No idler arms were listed, but the Bushing Kit to repair them was.  I then cross-checked it with a '73 Chrysler New Yorker and discovered the bushing kit was the same PLUS that TRW had a listing in the Chrysler side of things that was not there in the Imperial listings.  This is why it sometimes takes two reputable catalogs to trace some of these things back for crossovers, not to mention the Hollander listings.  The TRW listing also had a dimension listed too.

Just because the "guts" of the idler arm might take the same bushing kit does NOT mean the rest of the arm is the same for both applications.  There could be a length dimension (which would NEED to be compatible with the pitman shaft length such that the geometry of the linkage would not be changed) or a different offset in height elevation respective to the mounting point on the subframe.  If you read the old Chrysler Direct Connection Race Manual (the early ones that were 1500+ pages), it details how all of the idler and pitman arm pivots need to move in the same arc as the wheels turn from side to side.  It is all very well engineered so that it works as good as it does.

The other items I mentioned about "different part numbers" are pure reality issues that relate to all car parts.  But please do not interpret my comments to mean that "they are all the same" in all cases.  It has been observed that many "purpose built for one particular application" parts do end up being superceded into another part number that has much wider useage as the vehicles age (fan clutches are a good example).  When we needed a heater core for our '66 Chrysler in about '74, after about four number changes, it ended up being the same part number as for a '68 Charger (dealing purely with Chrysler part numbers at the dealership level and their "white books" of number changes and NS1 listings).

As for the high price of "reman" idler arms, if the rebuilders can rebuild them, they have to get the parts to do that from somewhere.  If that source can be determined and the items obtained (with an instruction sheet), then what the reman people charge to do the job might be put into better perspective--not to mention the "allocation of blame" issue should a problem arise later on with that particular part.  Sometimes, you're better off to let others do things you might not know about than to attempt them yourself.  Of course, if you can watch them do it, you might decide you can do that yourself, next time.  It all depends on your own particular mechanical expertise and working environment, from what I've seen.

By the same token, with the right tools, mentoring, and adequate time, many new things can be accomplished that you'd never ever suspect you could do--yet, this is a highly variable situation.  I've also seen some people undertake things they had no comprehension about what they were doing and then wondered "What went wrong?"

So, my apologies for getting a little off track there.  I do intend to seek out my older replacement parts books to see if I can further substantiate the "not the same" situation, just for my own benefit.  This is one area where some old engineering articles or blueprints might come in handy.  Reckon the Chrysler Historical archives might have some of that stuff?

Enjoy!
W Bell