thanks and questions

>but I have heard conflicting reports on whether the v-twin compressors can handle the new refrigerants. if they can >should i do a rebuild on the one i have or just slap it back in? it didn't appear to have any leaks when i took it out.

It has been my experience that your stock compressor will do fine with 134a.  Those a/c systems were massively over designed to be able to run the dual air option in the hottest of weather.  My ’73 would freeze you out of the car with 134a and dual air although if the car was really hot it took a while to start cooling good.  I imagine with a single air system you would not have the “lag” time like I had with the dual system.

Usually the front shaft seal is what fails on the compressor with age.  Since you already have yours off I would have it rebuilt or replace it with a rebuilt.  If it was still on the car I would probably chance it, but since yours is off and if you factor in the cost of the dryer and refrigerant etc it would probably be a good investment to have the compressor rebuilt.

           Steve B.