1970 clock/ a note about WD-40

Hello all...

I have made a clock repairs as a hobby of mine for a few years now. Also my collection of repaired clock's numbers about 300 or so. I was taught a lot about the skill from an elderly repairman in Berkeley, Ca. One of his first lessons to me was to discontinue the use of carburetor cleaner and WD-40.
Especially, WD-40...  The fragile springs in the clocks mechanism will almost certainly fail and or gum up within weeks with its use. It was suggested to me to use sewing machine oil, the clear kind used with industrial sewing machines. I buy it by the gallon for my machine, it last me a few years. The best kind is the clear oil that tailors use while sewing wedding dresses or delicate materials that the other oil will stain potentially during a sewing process.
OT-Industrial sewing machines have a reservoir below the "head" which holds about a half a quart of this oil.
To apply such an oil to any clocks mechanism a fine wire or needle should be used to reach small areas which move. The cleaning portion can be done safely with ultrasonic cleaner, pivots can be lubricated as well as front and back plates. Keep oil away from the spring on the escape pinion and pallet (the part that moves the fastest and ticks).
Most imperial clocks are only repairable to a degree that I have had so far (4 total)
Frankly, I would suggest doing what I am attempting which is looking for a NOS clock. I located one on Ebay but haven't paid the auction and its been 2 months, my high bid was 46.00. Not too bad.
With all that in mind, on a personal note. I don't wear a watch and its unfortunate but Im always late to any destination. Someday I will have to pay more attention to time.

Regards,
Patrick Williams
High Desert, Southern California    $2.50 per gallon
65 Ford F 350 Super Duty Dually
64 Chrysler Imperial Crown Coupe
64 Chrysler Imperial 4 door
79 MGB Roadster