1970 clock/ a note about WD-40

Allo,

I've seen a few posts in the past month about using WD-40 as a
lubricant, from clocks, to hood release cables.  Please keep in mind
that WD-40 was not designed to be a lubricant.  It was designed as a
temporary corrosion inhibitor for aeronautic purposes.  It displaces
water and leaves a thin protective film of oils on whatever metal you
wish to protect.  It is mostly composed of volatile components, which
will evaporate over a fairly short period of time.  It may gum things
up, and this is because the lighter oils (which solvate the mixture,
keeping it fluid) have volatolised.  If it doesn't gum things up, then
after a short while it just won't lubricate at all.  If you wish to
lubricate something, use something like white grease, or whatever is
best suited to your application.  Frequently, the operator's manual will
specify which lubricant should be used for a particular application.

Cheers,
James