'67 & '68 Turn Signal Switch replacement

'67 & '68 Turn Signal Switch replacement

There should be a detailed instruction as to how to do this switch
replacement in the IML archives, but I see that some of the ancient stuff is
no longer coming up on an archive search.   A member posted a step by step
instruction for this about 5 years ago - maybe it's lurking in someone's
file somewhere.|

It is covered in the service manual, but I seem to recall it is in a strange
place, and I may be thinking of the 68 manual (I have both, and have
replaced the switches in all 4 of my cars).  The outer sleeve of the column
requires a special tool to remove it, trying it without that tool will
result in damage to it.  I found that it is possible to change the switch
without removing it, but it takes a lot of patience with the wires and to
get the new switch installed without breaking it.   Fortunately, if the new
switch is of recent manufacture (identified by a red tint to the plastic
parts) it will flex enough to get it in.   I assume you have made a tool to
remove the electrical contact from the multi-pin connector at the base of
the column.  This is a rather simple tool.  I made one from a piece of
spring steel - about 0.30 thick, about 5/8 inch long, and about 1/8 inch
wide.  You shove it in from the front (mating surface) of the connector and
depress the retain tang on the individual wire ends.  You can see the shape
of this tang by inspecting the wire ends on the new switch.  Of course you
need to pull a "pull string" through the passageway when you remove the old
switch so you can get the new wires to go in through the right path.

This is a very time consuming and arduous task, but you can do it!  The
reward is a feeling of joy every time you use the new switch.
Dick Benjamin