Imperials, repair shops & parts

I'm laughing at Hugh's busy one-legged man at a butt kicking contest.  I'll make a point to use that today.

Endearing one's self to the shop:  I have an old trick that my parents and grandparents used.  It's a Southern secret, but plainly the Imperial Club (Yankees and all) qualify as cool enough to be told......food.  I almost never drop my cars off for work without advancing with a box of doughnuts or something similar.  Everytime, No Matter What.  Simple oil change to transmission rebuild.... doughnuts.  If I'm doing an afternoon drop-off, I'll substitute chips and dip.  I just put it in their break area and don't make a big deal out of it.  My wife accuses me of cheap bribery.  Maybe so, but I've built a genuine and close relationship with my mechanic and his staff over the years, and it really helps both ways.  I don't expect price breaks or anything like that in return, but I know they're more comfortable talking to me and giving me advice.  Recently, when I bought my '58 Southampton from a town 360 miles away, my local mechanic was pivotal in helping me get it home and properly serviced.  I probably owe him two boxes of doughnuts for that one!  I do love that old car.

In writing this, I'm remembering that my grandfather and my dad usually brought beer and liquor.  Maybe I need to be less puritanical.

Patrick Moore
Southeast Louisiana
1958 Southampton 4 door.