Re: Re: IML: Silicone brake fluid

I don't know the definitive answer on this, but I know that some people
advocate against
using DOT 5 in an older car because it can attack the rubber in the system,
causing seals
to deteriorate more quickly.  I have heard that if you thoroughly flush & clean
the system,
or have just installed new lines, etc., it's all right.  A quick google search
will give you all
sorts of data on both sides of this issue.

In my opinion, DOT 4 is sufficient for the average car under average
conditions.  At least,
I have never had a problem with it.

Mark M