Fuel pump issues

Very interesting.

Although I have had fuel pump issues with 11 cars in 4 years, I haven't found a
single one of them to have the problem that you describe. All of my 413's
required new fuel pumps in that time. Two of them, and my 354 Hemi still didn't
pull fuel even with the new pumps. In each of those cases, I found that there
was an air leak in one of the flex-lines between the tank and the pump. In the
case of a certain 1948 automobile I am working on from Ford, that is notorious
for doing what you describe, I discovered that the gasket around the glass bowl
fuel filter(which is attached to the pump)was cracked, which led to the same
problem, no fuel/sucking air.

Guess I have just been lucky, or maybe having a worn or short fuel pump push
rod is enough to cause a no fuel condition with a small air leak, while a nice
new long one can compensate for it. Like you, after my discovery I found myself
replacing the same part in each car automatically, but mine was the flex-lines
instead of the push rod.

Paul