A/C woes'...Auto Temp...1970 Model year...

A/C woes'...Auto Temp...1970 Model year...

Hey everyone,

I searched the archives and found little help on this.

I charged the system (converted to 134-A) in my '70 LeBaron last night; but,
I had to run a 'hot' wire to the compressor to get it to run.  It has the
Auto Temp (not the Auto Temp 2 system...please note) HVAC system.  System
could use a partial can of refrigerant yet; but w/in opperating pressure.

What I'ld like to know is if there is something commonly malfunctioning on
this system to give me a base starting point in diagnosing the problem.

What I have already checked:
1.  20A fuse...power both sides (heater A/C fuse) (used test light)
2.  No power to compressor (used test light)
3.  No power present at the Low Pressure cut-off switch (used test light)
4   Vacuum lines all hooked up

I used a test light to check for power; but, I didn't have my Multimeter to
check how much power was present or the resistances of the switches.

I have located the Master Switch and Compressor Switch under the right side
of the dash.  I didn't test these due to it being midnight, last night.

I have great hopes in working on the A/C tonight.  I will have my multimeter
and vacuum gage/pump to better diagnos the system.

Out of curiosity...if I jump the Low Pressure Switch, Compressor Switch, and
Master Switch will the A/C compressor run/engage regardless???

Please help as you can.  I'ld really like the A/C to work on the Chattanooga
trip in a couple weeks.

Thanks!

chris
'70 Imperial LeBaron