90's Imperial Available - What to Ask?

Jeff --

Those gorgeous cars go to the boneyard for two reasons:

1.  The air ride suspension goes flat, and

2.  The transmission goes bad.

Unless you are an advanced shade tree mechanic, those repairs can cost
upward of $1,000 each.  In the case of the tranny, incorrect diagnosis can
cause an owner to give up on the car.

What you want to ask:

1.  Did the owner bring the car in for recall work?  There are several
sources that give a list of recalls for that model.

2.  Did Chrysler Corp. ever replace the transmission?  What kind of
transmission fluid did the owner/garage use?  If it was not true Mopar 7176
the transmission may just need a full flush including torque converter and
cooler lines and filter change rather than a full rebuild.  Check the
applicable pages on www.allpar.com for details.

3.  Does it have 4-wheel air ride suspension?  If it's only rear wheels it
can easily be converted to shocks and coils.

4.  Does it have wire wheel covers with inserts and all the badges?  I have
spent 25% of the purchase price of my car and many weeks tracking those
down.

I hope there is a K-Imperial lover out there who will rescue this car.  It
is on the cusp where so many of our Imperials of all eras have been -- is
it worth preserving or is it just another beat up old car?

Good luck,

David

                      JCantor791@xxxxxxx

                      Sent by:                        To:

                      ialclub.com                     From:
                                                      Subject:  IML: 90's
Imperial Available - What to Ask?

                      05/08/2004 04:59 AM

                      Please respond to

                      mailing-list

Over the last several weeks I've been watching a 90's Imperial that was
parked in a wooded area next to a house along my route to North Jersey and
my
family.  Last week I had a chance - actually on the way home from Dave
Brown's
gathering in the Phillipsburg area - and I stopped in to speak to the
owner.

The owner wasn't home but his sister-in-law was and she offered to ask him
upon his return.  I wasn't very hopeful but when my wife and I got home
last
night, she had left a message on my machine asking me to call about the
car.

I personally don't have an interest in the car other than to see it get
enjoyed in a safe home (anything is better than the back woods).  So anyone
out
there who is interested, please contact me off list and I will proceed in
contacting the current owners.

Here's what very little I know:

The car appears structurally complete but I did not walk around it or open
it
so interior and drive train are unknown.  I believe it has only been
sitting
in the woods for a couple of months but I may be mistaken.  Exact year is
unknown but it is obviously one of the '90 through '93 K-car inspired front
drive
Imperials and is painted a burgundy color.  The fact that I got a call back

leads me to believe that the owner is interested in selling/disposing of
the car
but I don't have any idea what price or other terms he may have in mind.
The
car is located about 20 minutes north of me along NJ-31 although I don't
know
the exact town.

As I said, I'm only interested in see the car saved from the trees and
rodents that will undoubtedly take their toll on it in short order.  I'd be
happy to
play go-between with the current owner for anyone interested in the car.  I

can be reached directly via email at jcantor791@xxxxxxxx

Jeff
'56 Sedan
Trenton, NJ