My '59 in car hospital, Heart transplant!

My '59 in car hospital, Heart transplant!

Bill:

I've read your emails about your 59 Imperial and just wonder about the real problem you may have. In 1971, I had a 66 Barracuda Formula S (bought new in late 65) that was running a lot like your Imperial. Planning my first trip to the big Hershey Swap Meet, I figured I'd never make it with the car running so poorly. So out of the car came the 273 4bbl engine. A total rebuild ensued. On Saturday night at Midnight (leaving for Hershey early Monday morning), we installed the engine, rebuilt the original carb, hooked up everything and started the car. Ran like crap -- just as it did before the rebuild. We did wonder why there was little wear in the bores, etc. but, what the heck, the motor was apart and the rebuild continued.

Now what do we do? Off to the only place (parts house) we knew was open. No 273 4bbl but they did have a 440 4bbl already rebuilt. Put it on the engine, started the car and it ran like a scalded cat. I put the car into storage yyears later at about 310,000 miles total and never touched the carb again. So, my thought is you have a bad carb.

Sherwood Kahlenberg

P.S. The trip to Hershey was without any car problems at all.