ARRGGGG!!!!! - stereo style

Some of you might be aware of my attempts to have a working AM/FM
8-track player in my 76 NYB.  I have been foiled, yet again.  I had the
factory stereo repaired (again) last year, but the 8-track is again
moody, but different moody than before the repair.  The first repair was
to fix the tachometer circuit so it would play tapes, the second so that
it would have both right and left channels all the time, and only play
one program at a time on the tape.  It can play tapes, but there is a
buzzing noise on the left channel.  Sometimes it plays tapes at random
speeds, so I suspect that the tachometer circuit is flaky again (capstan
is clean!).  AM/FM is fine.  So, I found myself an almost identical
stereo out of a 74 Imperial in a yard.  AM is good, 8 track plays
perfectly, FM is non-existent.  Arg!  So right now I have chosen AM/FM
over AM/8-track.  If I can't have all three, why can't it be AM that
doesn't work?! (there aren't any decent AM stations in Calgary)

Any suggestions for the loss of FM?  I think this deck has fewer
problems than the other one.  It's not the antenna since the other deck
has perfect FM reception (these 1970's stereos actually have really good
sound when they work).  There are tons of little adjustment screws on
the thing, but I don't know what they do other than the one for the tape
head adjustment.

On the upside, by now if anyone is qualified to remove/replace a stereo
in a 1976 NYB, it's me!

James
1976 NYB