timing chain cover seal

Hello all,
   Re: the mighty '78 NYB with it's 400 ci engine.
I'm ready to re-install the timing chain cover, but
have a question about the seal for anyone who has
actually done this.
    The timing chain cover is a stamped piece of
steel.  Where the seal goes there seems to be circular
pressed piece of steel with a lip at the bottom,
creating a (approx) 1/16" channel between the
pressed-in piece and the stamped timing chain cover.
This pressed-in piece appears the same metal and
thickness as the timining chain cover itself, which
made me think that it was a part of the cover. When I
removed the old fossilized seal, the rubber part came
out of this circular metal piece relatively easily,
making me think the seal was just the rubber that came
out.  HOWEVER,  the new seal from the kit (that the
parts guy says goes on many other Mopars) has the same
outside diamter as the outside diameter of the
circular pressed-in piece.  To  use it , I would have
to pull out the circular piece, which is in so snugly
that I am afraid of distorting the timing chain cover.
  At least I will surely destroying the circular
piece.
   Does anyone know if this is what I need to do?  I
can send pics if needed.

Thanks
Bruce S