tire aging vs tread life

In a message dated 4/19/2004 3:38:42 PM Eastern Standard Time, David.Whitney@xxxxxxxx writes:
>>We've all heard of "new" tires, but it's not how much tread is on them or
how much they are not weather cracked, it's the production date that's on
the >>inside sidewall serial number stamping (or used to be).

When I spoke with a representative from BF Goodrich last month she said the
company assumes any tire older than 6 years is not a product they can stand
behind even if the tire has sat in a warehouse since new.

The six year old as an "old tire" seems like a rather premature aging when you consider that modern tires can easily go 75000 miles before wearing out based on tread life.  If you were to drive 12,000 miles a year, the low side of average, this would be more than 6 years before wearing out, or are we saying they are "aged out" before wearing out?  Who can solve this conundrum?

Don Dickinson
Prospect, KY

1955 Imperial Newport, Canyon Tan and Desert Sand
1967 Imperial Custom Convertible, Ivory and Burgundy