92 to the dealer

on 15/04/04 00:24, Matt Hopkins at mhoppy@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Last week the 92 was backfiring, not a good thing. After much consultation
> with myself, I decided a trip to the dealer for diagnosis was in order
> rather than parts replacement at random.
>
> As it turned out the major issue was a plug wire. During the $75 diagnostic
> check it was determined it needed plugs , wires, O2 sensor and the fuel
> filter needed to be replaced probably based on mileage. ( it has 59,000 on
> it now)
>
> The total cost for above was in round figures $650 at the dealer. I decided
> to do it myself which totaled $175 including paying $75 to dealer for
> hooking it up to their diagnostics.
>
> Itmes of note-- I bought the parts at NAPA for less than AutoZone.
>
> AS Dick Benjamin says about the 80's cars applies to all, check the basics
> first.
>
> The O2 sensor seem to make a difference in fuel consumpiton, the gauge is
> falling a lot slower in these high fuel cost times.

Matt,

I just completed a 2,000 miles trip. I think I would like to do what you
did, as I had my Imperial 1993 for about 2 months now and I don't have any
way to know when that kind of service was performed. I now have 89,000
miles, so I'm assuming it wouldn't hurt to replace the wires, O2 sensor and
the fuel filter. In any case, I think the regular maintenance states that
those have to be replaced at 90,000 miles.

My only question is this: how do you recognize that you have a good set of
wires? It might be a stupid question, but I've tried a few sets in the
various cars I used and I've never been satisfied. They all had to be
replaced well before the time they were due. So, are there any brands that
you can trust?

Thanks!

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software                mailto:laurentdaudelin@xxxxxxxxxxx