58 Random Starting/Neutral Safety

58 Imperial does not have a neutral safety switch.  What it has is a neutral
starter switch.  The neutral button is the starter button.  The key does not
activate the starter, it just opens the electrical circuit.

I cannot say what is causing the problem's on this particular 58.  There are
a variety of answers, any one of which might be correct.  When it happened
to my 58, it was the coil, but it could just as easily be a bad connection
or a starter motor problem.  There is also a ballast resistor to be looked
at as well.

What the car needs is a mechanic to diagnose the problem.  It will get worse
and it won't always fail to start in a convenient place.  Replacing the coil
worked for me, but I chose to replace the ballast resistor and get the
starter motor rebuilt not too very long after.  I went from taking five
attempts to getting the 58 going to it starting on the first try.

Hugh