Fuel Filter Insert -'56

Yes, there is a rubber gasket. Believe it or not, that gasket is also reusable.
If you are really careful, it will last for many, many years. The new filter
element comes with the gasket. The glass bowl is held in place with a metal
"bail" that has a screw in the bottom that when tightened it pushes the glass
bowl up against the gasket. Even when the gasket is really old, the glass can
be seated against it well enough not to leak. It was a great design. You can
even see the dirt inside the bowl without taking anything apart.

I have had my '56 since 1972 and I still have the same gasket and element that
it had when I bought the car. I may have to change it the next time that I take
it apart, but when I worked on the '55 in 1997, I was able to reuse the gasket
and that car hadn't been touched in over 35 years. It really is amazing! Some
things were made to last!

Paul