From: Dick Benjamin <dickb@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Feb 8, 2004 11:35 AM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: My Dads Imperial 1982

The mileage is too low (assuming it is still EFI), so I would change the air
filter, spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor and the Oxygen
sensor.  All this will come to less than $30, and should make a great
improvement for you.   If the fuel filters have not been replaced, I'd
certainly add that to the list.  The originals are no longer available, but
if you remove them and take them to your local NAPA store, they can match
them very closely - in fact I did exactly that in Boise when I was visiting
our daughter there!

Murray Park can help you with the license plate trim - contact him by
looking him up on our IML vendor list.  Of course there are others who can
also help - I have had very good results with Murray.

The nylon pull string in your power antenna has come loose from the drive
motor.  These can be replaced, but it is a lot of work to get at the
antenna, as  you have to take it out from under the fender.   Remove the
plastic flap from behind the right front wheel.  Remove the antenna and take
it apart.   You can buy a replacement nylon insert from your friendly local
parts place.

The wiper linkage is very tricky to replace - I suspect he has put the
linkage back on wrong.   If you are handy with tools, just take it out again
and study the way it has to move.  There is a lot of monkey motion involved
in the drive link on the driver's side.  Remember that the drive motor
actually reverses direction to park the blades, so the linkage has to change
it's length when it is driven in one direction from it's length when it is
driven in the other direction.  It's hard to explain, but if you study the
parts, you'll see what I mean.   These linkages fail frequently - but the
parts are still available from your local Chrysler dealer.  You have to buy
the whole left side linkage if it fails, and it is a chore to change it!

The cruise control difficulty could be any one of 1000 things (OK, maybe
only 500), but the first thing to check is your control switch.  There are 4
wires from the switch to the unit - make sure they all react to pushing the
control through it's various actions.   Also, make sure your brake light
switch is adjusted properly, since an error there may make the cruise
control think the brakes are on.  Use the wiring diagram to trace out each
of the various wires in the system - it should be possible to track it down.

Dick Benjamin (who lives about 10 miles from your folks, and still uses
their fender covers!)