Exner Years

They may bring back the Imperial name someday. I'm sure nobody thought they
would bring it back in the 80s. After the 80s were unsuccessful
(sales-wise), I'm sure nobody expected them in the 90s.  The Fifth Avenue
sold better, so might have had a better chance of a comeback, except that
without the New Yorker, the Fifth Avenue name seems funny to me.

Chrysler seems to bring the Imperial occaisionally when they are looking for
a flagship.  Since it is only used as an attention getting top-of-the-line
vehicle, or a technological showcase, sales success can be a secondary
factor.

As far as Chrysler being mid-level now, you have to realize that
Chrylser-Plymouth is now just Plymouth.  The old school stratification of
brands is no longer relevant.  To say Chrysler doesn't have a "working man's
car" these days is ridiculous. The PT Cruiser is NOT expensive. I just
bought one. A turbo with as many or more luxury options as our Imperials.
No, that's not a joke and no, it doesn't ride as nice. It's just too short
and these modern strut FWD suspensions aren't as smooth.  Out the door for
$21 flat.  That's with $200 optional inferno red paint.  That is a cheap car
these days.  Non-turbo and Neons are substantially cheaper.  The only thing
you can get for less money is a Hyundai.