Exner Years

"Engle started the demise of the Imperial, and forever sealed it's fate"

How?

Like all stylists, Engel had to work within the parameters laid out for him
by management.   The 1964 Imperial had to use the basic body frame carried
over from the1957-63 body.   The 1967 Imperial had to use the C body of the
Chrysler with a longer hood and deck.  The 1969 Imperial again used the C
body of the Chrysller with a longer hood  but had to use the door and basic
rear fender stampings.  The 1974 Imperial (although not an Engel work) was a
Chrysler with different trim and fixings.

All these dictates were placed before him by Chrysler management.  That he
was able to work around these parameters and still come up with striking
designs just shows how good a designer he was.  He had less to work with
than Exner or the people that designed the Lincolns and Cadillacs of that
era.

Exner was forced to use the DeSoto/Chrysler body to create the 1955 and 1956
Imperial.  On the other hand, he was given a clean sheet of paper for the
1957 Imperial.  The body of the 1957 Imperial shared nothing with any other
Chrysler line and thus Exner could create a unique design.  The collapse of
Imperial sales in 1958 meant that Exner was forced to use the same body for
the 1959 through 1962 Imperials.  In turn, Engel had to use it for the 1963
Imperial and the major restyle for 1964.   (Personally I view the 1961
Imperial as the low point in Imperial styling - a design that was done
during his sick leave.)

So don't blame Engel for what happened to the Imperial.  That blame should
be placed squarely on the shoulders of Chrysler's marketing and advertising
people.

We should be be in awe for what Engel was able to do given the materials he
had to work with.

Bill
Vancouver, BC