63 instrument cluster

Eric,

On '63 models, the vacuum hose to the parking brake release is in the vicinity
of the wiring for the cluster. When I pulled my cluster for the first time the
hose came off of the actuator for the brake release. To avoid this happening
again in the future, I rerouted the hose differently, but made sure that it was
not going to interfere with anything else.

For some reason I think that you said that your Imperial came from the South
King County/ Pierce County/ Kitsap County of Washington. My '63 was also from
that area (Tacoma), and it is possible that both cars had gauge trouble and
went to the same shop for repair. If this is true it would explain why they
both were "fixed" the same way.

Incidently, even if the regulator in the temprature gauge does still work, I
would recommend by passing it and replacing it with the "add on" variety. The
built in one is a set of breaker points that eventually will become stuck and
put a straight 12 volts through the gauges. If they are not disconnected
immediately, they will burn out beyond repair. These days Jeff Carter charges a
lot of money to rebuild those clusters. I think he also uses the add on
regulator in the rebuild. Disconnecting the wiring during an emergency is not
an easy task.

I was able to purchase the regulators that I have from the local Chrysler
Dealer many years ago. I don't think that they are still available that way,
but Jeff Carter, or another parts house may be able to supply one fairly cheap.
It is very easy to install. If you are interested, I can tell you how in
private e-mail. The same part fits 60, 61, 62, and 63.

Paul