63 instrument cluster

Eric,

>From the best information I have here, the temp gauge is where all the power
to the instruments goes in, the temp gauge is also where the small
instrument cluster voltage regulator is included - its part of the temp
gauge.  If you can see it in the circuit you have, the current goes to the
temp gauge at terminal I , youll also notice its the only gauge with an I
terminal .  The A terminal of the temp gauge is in common with the A
terminals of the remaining gauges, not counting the ammeter as they dont
require it.

 In fact, with the exception of the el lighting, the ammeter really has
little or nothing to do with the other gauges as far as how its powered or
having any electrical commonality with them, its just in series with the
main power leads between the battery and the rest of the system.

Anyway, the schematic I have show two connectors on the temp gauge that have
more than one wire to them, the el wires " e " and the "g" series wires
which are power to the other gauges.  The schematic I have show a wire ,
G-1, from the fuse box to the temp gauge and it says it is a 18 gauge black
wire.  Does this sound right, were you gauges working before ?

Regarding the wire to what you call the right two gauges, the red wires G-3
and G-5 go between the temp gauge and the fuel gague, and from the temp
gauge to the oil gauge respectively.  Do these other gauges work as well,
the question being if the red wire you found was feeding one of the other
instruments.  The sending unit wires for the gauges are violet, light blue
and gray so you may want to double check that they are connected to the "S"
terminals of the gauges and work from there by process of elimination.

Regarding the small blocks and rubber strip, its been too long since I had
one of these apart to remember where those were with any degree of
certainty. If I had it in front of me that may be a different story.  I have
one or two of these in my shop and maybe they will shed light on this
matter.  The rubber hose could be for a vacuum actuator for your ac and
heating servos, but I dont recall seeing one of them routed with the
instrument wiring before....perhaps to the far left side for the under dash
servo if you have one, thats more of a guess on my part than anything else.

If you need, contact me privately and we can walk thru this one, that
particular cluster is not that hard to work with , my concern is what if any
changes that someone else has made and any creative wiring they may have
done which could result in harm if its not discovered and dealt with.  Stuff
like extra unfused hot wires, things that go smoke in the night!

Btw..dont worry about disconnecting the battery for the el lighting, the
pack only gets power when the headlight switch is on, so if you have the
switch off the pack is off.  I would disconnect the battery just because of
the ammeter wires and some of the other wires that are always hot regardless
of the key position, you never know where there may be bare spots or such
under a panel!

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe