frequency of oil changes

I changed the oil in my '68 yesterday and got to wondering.  In the
FSM, it says to change the oil every 3 months or 4000 miles, whichever
comes first.  I haven't put on 4000 miles on this car since I bought
it, so I haven't changed the oil in 3 years, figuring, well, mileage is
the key thing.  But now I'm wondering if time itself is a factor.  Will
old oil go "bad" in the crankcase?  Should you change your oil every 3
months REGARDLESS of how much you drive?

Thanks, Mark