Fuel lines, rubber and steel

 This thread brought back some not-too-pleasant memories of fuel problems with
a 413 - not in an Imperial, but in a 5-ton Dodge dump truck.

After my husband had replaced two carburetors, the fuel tank, the float gauge
and pickup, two pumps (including bypassing the engine-driven pump with a
hi-flow electric unit), several changes of rubber line sections, and generally
driving me completely nuts, I undertook to buy about 20 feet of brand new steel
line. With a dry afternoon and a bender, I completely solved all problems with
power loss, stalling, stumbling etc on this truck. The old hard lines evidently
were just porous enough to allow it to draw some air under a heavy pull.
If there is any corrosion at all anyplace on the hard lines, it's a heck of a
lot cheaper to replace them with new than to go through all the rest of the
systems - starting with new clean fuel pipe can eliminate a lot of other
problems before they start, too! For the cars having the fuel lines running
through frame sections, this is an especially important item to NOT overlook.

Kate Justet Triplett
Kate's Custom Gunleather
Monroe, Washington
Proudly a member of NRA
and owner of "Lucille" 1968 Crown 4-door HT