Dirty 58 HEMI

Quoting Dave Ford <daveford1@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> sludge sitting in the sparkplug recess'.  Is there a recommended practice
> for cleaning or flushing and old engine that may not ever seen detergent
> oil?

Oil in the plugs can be caused either by too cold a spark plug, or by worn
rings.  I don't think the detergents in the oil help you there.  The oil
detergents help keep oil passages clean (that rarely see more than 220F
temperatures).  In the combustion chamber, the temperatures are high enough to
oxidize the oil and its detergents, unless the oil leakage past the rings is
overwelming, or sometimes, the plug is too cold.  Sometimes, a worn out engine
can continue to operate without fouling plugs by installing hotter plugs than
it was designed for, and that may help the plugs last longer.

D^2