Go vs. Show (was Re: IML: Not such a great day)

Go vs. Show (was Re: IML: Not such a great day)

I couldn't agree more, Wayne.  You've seen the Newporker and I think if you
are honest, you will agree that she ain't much to look at.  James says it
has a "Dazzle Coat" paint job.  That's the type of paint that a battle ship
might have (ironic, I know) where each panel is a slightly different shade
and tint of green.  I'll never argue that this is the case. HOWEVER!  That
big green beast is ready to roll anywhere you care to drive it!  I've been
across the continent and back more than twice in the last three years and
I'd think nothing of climbing behind the wheel and heading off anywhere the
spirit leads.  I just couldn't bring myself to "waste" my money and time to
paint a car that wasn't in 100% top notch mechanical condition.  I know not
everyone shares my opinion on this and that's ok, as Wayne said, all we have
to do is wait until the end of the car show and watch you try to get your
car started or watch the blue streak you leave behind as you head out onto
the road, to identify who you are...not that you are wrong, you just have
different priorities than I.

Last summer I had the distinct pleasure of visiting Mike and Chris Trettin
and the Six Trettineers in Iowa.  When we met up, I insisted Mike drive my
Newporker (1978 Newport/New Yorker conversion) just as he had allowed me to
drive his beautiful 56 Ch....err...Imperial a couple years before.  I had to
keep saying, "Everything works." in reply to Mike's seeimingly endless
questions about the operability of the various features and power
conveniences on the car.  There is nothing on that car that doesn't work.
Yes, the paint sucks but the car performs beautifully.

Now, this is still a 25 year old car.  The poor thing is allowed a breakdown
now and then.  I will say it has never left me stranded.  On the way home,
the thermo-clutch fan quit and the engine began heating up quite a bit.  No
big deal though.

I too am in a rich man's hobby with a poor man's budget.  I only get by
because I put my back into it and do everything I can to avoid having to
visit the mechanic.

There is alot to be said for not having to drive the car you're working on
though.  I have five cars and three are drivable any time I need them.  That
makes it nice when one needs a little "special" attention.

Anyway, I'm rambling.  I'll let y'all chime in.  Keep yer stick on the ice!