calendars & rights to use car images

I have done a little work for the TV show "My Classic Car" and I
contacted a producer there about the use of images of cars on their TV
show, and asked whether or not they have to get permission from
manufacturers before showing an old Chrysler, etc.

He said he thought it was total BS.  They have never asked for
permission from any manufacturer, nor have they ever had any complaints
about their show.

It's not quite the same as a calendar, but it is the use of an image (a
moving one) of a car for a commercial purpose.  So I really don't know
where Cafe Press is coming from . . .

Mark M