Bad news for my '59

$5000.00 is way to high to rebuild an engine. I would
check compression on all cylinders. Check them first
dry. Then check any low ones after squirting some oil
in the spark pulg hole. If the pressure goes up you
need rings and probably should rebuild the engine (
about 2500.00) IF THE COMPRESSION Don't'T GO UP AFTER
SQUIRTING OIL IN THE SPARK PLUG HOLES you're rings are
prob ally OK and I would look at a valve job or a head
gasket. Since you said the compression was low on two
adjoining cylinders I would look at the head gasket.It
is not uncommon for a head gasket to go out between to
cylinders and cause low compression. Head gaskets are
easy enough to change but don't run the engine long
before fixing it or you may erode the head or block
where the gasket is leaking. Either way a valve job or
a head gasket is considerably cheaper than an engine
rebuild.