Fixing Govt mandated 68 bulbs

Hi All,
       It came to me last night... something vaguely familiar was rattling around in my head (along with all the other rubbish) - was '68 the year that they put the tail lamps on the same circuit (fuse) as the dash lights?  It seems that I recall that that was a FMVSS (or whatever it was in 1968) requirement, and that '68 was the approximate timeframe?

       The rationale was that if your tail lights were out you would at least notice that you didn't have dash lights, and investigate.

Thanks,
Steve Charette
Imperial Services
989/652-6309