priming an oil pump...

is there a slick way to prime a new oil pump short of
pulling the distributor and using a drill and a rod to
spin the pump drive?

on the amc v8's i've worked on where the pump housing
is integral to the front cover and you can really only
change the gears inside, i packed the cavity full of
vasoline to prime it, stuck the gears in, bolted it
back together and was on my way.  the vasoline keeps
the air out while the pump spools up, oil comes in,
the small amount of vasoline melts and mixes with the
rest of the oil, and you don't have to mess around
dialing the timing back in.  of course, i don't see
this working on a sealed external pump without
splitting it open, which i'd rather not to a brand new
unit.

for me the issue isn't so much pulling the
distributor, which in itself isn't a big deal [i was
going to check the timing soon anyways], it's getting
my hands on a priming rod for a big mopar locally and
not having to wait for a mail order.

any ideas?
--jason

jason reizner