vapor lock or not?

but success when cold requires a review of the starting procedure.  These cars
have carbs.  When cold, push the pedal to the floor once, release and turn the
key. The engine should start.  Pushing the pedal to the floor releases the
choke.  When the engine is hot, push the pedal down a bit less than half way
and hold it there.  Turn the key until the engine starts.  Most hot starting
problems indicate a flooded engine, not vapor lock.  If you pump the throttle
on a hot engine it will be flooded.  To start a flooded engine, hold the
throttle all the way down to the floor and turn the key until it starts.  If
hard starting is a consistent problem when the car is hot, turn both of the
idle mixture screws on the carburator an eighth to a quarter turn clockwise to
lean out the fuel-air mixture.  PEN<br><br> --- On Thu 06/19, Lambda Imperial63
&lt; lambda63imperial@xxxxxxxxxxx &gt; wrote:<br>From: Lambda
  Imperial63 [mailto: lambda63imperial@xxxxxxxxxxx]<br>To:
-0400<br>Subject: Re: IML: vapor lock
suggestions?<br><br>Jason...&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;you're not going to believe
this, but put some wooden clothes pins on the &lt;br&gt;fuel line where it
might be getting hot.&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;This is the cheapest and easiest way
to solve vapor lock in gasoline engines &lt;br&gt;in the heat that I know.
They apparently help to dissipate the heat.&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;I know this
sounds like something from Bewitched. but  ...believe it or not, &lt;br&gt;it
works!&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;Of course, take the clothes pins off before you have
your car judged at a &lt;br&gt;show!&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;Bob&lt;br&gt;63
Imperial&lt;br&gt;Atlanta, GA&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;From: jason
reizner &amp;lt;jreizner_lists@xxxxxxxxx&amp;gt;&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;Reply-To:
 imperialclub.com&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;Subject: IML: vapor lock
suggestions?&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 16:39:09 -0700
(PDT)&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;yesterday i was out driving my new '68
hardtop for&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;about an hour and got it good and hot, after which
i&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;parked it for about a half hour on the street
while&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;running some errands.  when i came back, the car
would&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;crank, but wouldn't catch for the life of me,
sounding&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;like it wasn't getting any gas.  figuring i had
lost&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;the original fuel pump to the mtbe in the gas here,
i&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;had the car towed home.  upon investigating, i
found&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;the pump to be fine and the new filter to
be&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;unrestricted.  i just tuned the car up this
weekend,&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;and verified the ignition system is in top form,
so&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;i'm pretty sure this was a fuel problem.  what's&lt;br&gt;
 &amp;gt;strange is that i went to go start the car cold
this&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;afternoon, and she kicked right over and ran
just&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;fine, leading me to believe this is an issue
with&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;vapor lock.&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;i was
wondering if anyone had any suggestions that had&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;worked for
them in the past.  i'm thinking my next&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;step is probably to
stick a phenolic spacer under the&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;carb, insulate all of the
exposed rubber lines, and&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;put an inline electric pump in the
fuel line under the&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;front passenger door  where the previous
owner seems&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;to have spliced the original line with
rubber.&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;thanks,&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;jason
reizner&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;chicago&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;68 crown
hardtop&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;90 grand wagoneer&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;85 grand
wagoneer&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;83 wagoneer limited&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;87 x
 j6 sIII
4.2&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;__________________________________&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;Do
 you Yahoo!?&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;SBC Yahoo! DSL - Now only $29.95 per
month!&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;http://sbc.yahoo.com&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;-----------------
  http://www.imperialclub.com  -----------------&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;This message
was sent to you by the Imperial Mailing List. Please&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;reply to
mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and your response will be&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;shared
with everyone. Private messages (and attachments) for
the&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;Administrators should be sent to
webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&lt;br&gt;&amp;gt;To UN-SUBSCRIBE, go to
 of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8.
&lt;br&gt;http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&;
 gt;&lt;br&gt;-----------------  http://www.imperialclub.com
-----------------&lt;br&gt;This message was sent to you by the Imperial Mailing
will be &lt;br&gt;shared with everyone. Private messages (and attachments) for
the&lt;br&gt;Administrators should be sent to
webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&lt;br&gt;To UN-SUBSCRIBE, go to