Neutral starter or neutrral safety switch

Neutral starter or neutrral safety switch

George, we shall just have to agree to disagree.  For this era, the starter
switch is the neutral button itself.  You press it in fully, after turning
the key, to start the car.  I await Philippe's more descriptive answer with
some interest.  However, until that time, I'm afraid that his recent
experience, and my own, lend much weight to my contention that there is no
neutral safety switch.  It has a logic, too, I'm afraid.  If the neutral
button itself is the start activator, and no other button engages the
starter, it could be said that you have a kind of "safety" switch.  However,
as in Philippe's case, if the cable is out of adjustment, pressing the
neutral switch will still activate the starter even if the transmission is
actually engages in another gear.  My familiarity with this comes from
several years ago, with a Mopar trained mechanic of long standing, when he,
too, pored over the service manual to see why this was happening, and what
was either missing, defective or otherwise disabled.  His training began in
the late 60s.  He, too, was somewhat beyond belief when he realized that, in
fact, everything was as it should be.

I hope Philippe can prove me wrong, for what it's worth.  As we are both
experiencing, there are times when the 'obvious' logic of not needing a
neutral safety switch because you have a neutral starter switch instead is
on the wrong side of dangerous.

Hugh