leaky trunk in fuselage Imp

Hey Folks,

Count me a happy camper today!  I just located a leak I've been looking
for for over a year.

Everytime it rains, the trunk in my '71 gets wet.  I have tried
everything to figure out where the water was coming from.  I got inside,
closed the lid, had a neighbor hold a hose over different spots, etc.
Nothing.  No leaks.

Today it rained again and I looked in there and tried to trace the flow
of water back to its source.  It was definitely coming from the rear
(the area of the bumper), because there was no water on the top of the
wheelwell or toward the front of the trunk below the backlight, which is
where I'm told they leak.

Well, I found it.  If any of you are owners of a '69-'71 and your trunk
leaks, look here.  The end cap at the end of the quarter above the
taillight assembly is the culprit-- at least in my car.  There are 4
bolts that hold it on, and the water is coming from those bolts.  Pretty
steady drip, too.  Amazing.  I am going to seal up the bolt holes and
also put a bead of weatherstripping stuff along the top and sides of the
endcap, too, to keep the water out of this area.

I noticed when I removed this piece a few months ago that it had the
remnants of some kind of rubbery sealer in there; I guess they sealed
these at the factory but over time it degrades, or when the car was
painted these were removed and the painter did not replace the sealant.

Anyway, good luck to anybody who needs a leak . . . fixed!

Mark