TQ carb problem solved - thanks for your help

TQ carb problem solved - thanks for your help

Thanks to all who replied to my question about the float level on my TQ
carb.

I did adjust the float level setting from 1" to 1 1/16" as per FSM  (this is
counter-intuitive and translates into LOWER fuel level in the fuel bowls)
but that didn't change anything.

You'll recall that the problem was the engine would run at about 850 - 1000
rpm with the primary throttle plates completely closed (all idle screws
backed right off) and the idle mixture screws bottomed out on their seats!

I got poking around and discovered that if you open the secondary air valve
even a little bit, the engine would die.  Now I figured at idle, the
secondaries shouldn't come into play at all.  I took the carb off the
manifold and upon closer inspection noticed the secondary plates were not
closing tightly against the bores.  The darn thing was running on fuel being
drawn down the secondaries!!  (Enough vacuum below the air valve - when it
was closed - to draw fuel through the secondary jets.)

I took the carb apart a second time and switched the secondary plates bore
for bore and they fit (closed) better - not perfectly - but better. (There
was no linkage interference or anything, it was just the fit of the plates
in the bores.)

I put the TQ back on and low and behold - it idles!  It even dies if I back
the idle speed screw out too far. Now that's more like it.

I am a much happier camper now.

BTW, when he car was running before it went into storage - some 20 years ago
- that TQ was awesome - and I was using an adapter plate to the original '68
squarebore manifold!  I could do at least 100 mph BEFORE the secondaries
opened!!!  Hard to believe you say? It's true. The tranny and rear-end are
geared pretty high (low? not sure how to express that - anyway you don't
need a lot of engine rpm to go fast).  Needless to say the secondaries
didn't see much action except for passing!  I can't see that the TQ is that
complicated, and I am going to persevere as long as I can with it.  I agree
with an earlier comment that it is nice to stay as original as possible,
practical, and affordable, but not get carried away.  That is my approach as
well.

Too bad it will be such along time before it can drive it on the road.
Didn't plan or coordinate my project very well. Oh well, I can start 'er up
every now and then, savour that big block rumble, and get some incentive to
keep moving along with the project.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Kerry - in answer to your question - I will not make it to Carlisle this
year.  Not sure about next year.  Goal is to be able to drive the '73 down
in '05.

Jim Stacey
'73 4drht slowly going back together
Near Toronto