MPG readout for 80s with carb conversion

MPG readout for 80s with carb conversion

Hi all, this is a long read.

Since my 83 is dead for now, I have been messing
around with some stuff on it.

I decided to take the FloScan MPG meter all the
way apart this time,  to see if I could figure out what
if anything is wrong with it.

(I took photos and can post them if anyone wants.)

Here's what I found:

There is a fuel inlet, a fuel outlet, an overflow outlet and
three wires.  (See the schematic that I created for the
conversion kit on the 80's pages.)
(PS  I take full credit for all mistakes found there.)

I opened the main case.  There is a gasket, with what looks
to be a bellows type screen.  Not sure if gas can flow thru it
but there is a metal cap to limit the amount the bellows can
travel.  Must be a reservoir for smoothing out the fuel flow
from the mechanical pump.  The metal cap had come loose
and was rattling around.  I used some Seal-All to bond it
back on.

Then I tried to open where the little turbine wheel is, but I
started to chip the soft pot metal, so I stopped.  On a hunch
after cleaning the whole thing out, (it wasn't that dirty) I got
a straw and blew some air into the passage to the turbine.
You could hear it spin up.  Man that thing really flew!

I then pried open the electrical side and carefully removed
the potting.  There are two screws.  I removed them and
pried out the circuit board.  Out it came, and you can see
the two little LED's that sense the turbine blades.  Looks
like the same thing that is inside your computer mouse.
One LED sends out the beam, and the other reads the
pulses.

With the board out, I could look into the housing and see
the tiny turbine blade.  Good thing I didn't get the housing
open!  Yikes!  I blew into it with the straw, and the thing
spun for what seemed like a minute or so.  At least I know
that the turbine spins.

The circuit is just three resistors, a capacitor and a little
black box, maybe an IC?  Don't know, as it is encapsulated
and I don't want to mess with it.

So, I'm guessing that the meter is probably OK, and that
the trouble is somewhere on the dash. ( I had replaced the
Fuel Flow Stabilizer on the fender a while ago with a brand
new one, so I am guessing it's not that.)

Oh well.  Back to trying to get the exhaust bolts off so I can
get the oil pan off, and check that oil pump.  (I got one off
so far!)

Dan Wing
Marcy, NY  USA

imp1983@xxxxxxxx