'73 resto' project - TQ carb question

Are you sure that the timing is right?  If you've got it too far
advanced, this will happen.  Also, there's an idle speed adj on the side
of the carb, as well as the high-idle screw.  If you get one or the
other turned in too far, it'll be hitting on that.  The
earlier-suggested vacuum leak is also a good thing to check out.  You
could have left a vacuum port someplace uncovered.