Great Tool!

Hi folks,

I have a happy ending to report.

As you recall from yesterday's episode, I was trying to figure out why
the temp gauge in my '68 was registering so low, even when the engine
was hot.

Well, after reviewing everyone's advice and doing all the tests I could
think of, my best guess was that the problem was with the temperature
sending unit, not the gauge or the thermostat.

Yesterday I finally found the right part.  That is a whole nother
story.  To keep it brief, 4 of the autoparts stores in my area will not
give you the right thing if you ask for a coolant temp sending unit for
a '68 with a 440 and AC.  I don't know why, but that's the way it is
here-- they all show the wrong part in their books.  Or maybe my car has
a different unit (but then, my other '68 has the same unit, and so does
Robert Soule's).  Anyway, if anyone wants to know the right part # in
the future, I have it.  If you ask by the Borg Warner part #, they will
give it to you.  If you just ask for a "coolant temp sending unit," you
will probably get a funky part.

ANYWAY . . .

After finding the correct part I had to remove the old one.  Lemme tell
you, that wasn't easy.  I don't know what kind of reaction occurs
between brass and cast iron over 35 years, but it's one helluva
reaction.  That #%%^@ was rusted tight in there and I could not get it
out.  I soaked it with PBR (or whatever it is-- rust penetrant) for 2
days, I tried a deep socket with a long pry bar, I tried banging on it
with a hammer (which had the effect of breaking it, but it didn't loosen
it a millimeter) . . . I tried everything.  My muscles were aching and I
was contemplating borrowing some C4 from my neighbor who is in EOD in
the Navy . . . and then I went to Sears.

Bob Vila, I could kiss you!  Sears makes a thing called a "Hand Impact
Tool Kit."  Now, for you grisled car veterans (or even if you're not so
grisled), I'm sure you already know what this is.  But for me it was BIG
NEWS.  I'd never heard of one before.

Basically, what this thing is, is a little device that you strike with a
hammer.  It converts the energy of your strike into a twisting motion
developing, according to the box, 200 ft. lbs. of torque.  All I had to
do was attach a 15/16" impact socket to the other end and whail away!
(You have to get a special impact socket-- the regular sockets won't
hold up, I guess).

Well, 2 good licks with this thing and I'm removing that #%^% sending
unit!

Hooray, now I don't have to spend Memorial Day weekend cussing
Chryslers!!!

It also comes with different bits for removing tough screws.  I'm
telling you, folks, if you don't have one of these things in your tool
kit, go out and GET ONE.  They are great.

Thanks!

And now to see if my theory about the gauge was right . . .

MM