69 headlamp door relay

The headlamp relay on my 70 failed a few years ago after about 12 years
of ownership.  I walked in the garage and -- "What!" -- the headlight
doors were open.

That kicked off a very frustrating experience.  The factory SM wiring
diagrams are a rat's nest of wires and it was tough to figure out just
what made the system work.  I traced the wires, though, and redrew the
schematic to make some sense of the circuit.

Equipped with a better understanding of the components and their
functions, I set about locating each one for testing purposes.  Well
that relay is a real bugger to find!  I spent quite a bit of time
searching through the SM without success so I went to the car.  I spent
a bit of time there with my feet up in the air and my head under the
dash.

Eventually I found the relay.  It's at the bottom LH side of the dash.
It's above the parking brake mechanism, not mounted to it.  It has a
funky shaped bracket and is held to the lower "U" channel of the dash by
a Phillips screw IIRC.  I think I disconnected the battery, the dropped
steering column trim plate and the a/c system left outlet tube to get at
it.  It has a couple of screw terminals so it's best to unfasten and
lower it before trying to "unplug" it.

I autopsied my relay to determine exactly what went wrong.  It turned
out that the tiny, tiny copper wire wound up to make the relay coil had
broken.

I found a 72 Plymouth Fury in a junkyard and it had the relay I needed.
The bracket was shaped differently, though, to accommodate the different
dash design.  To solve that little problem I bent back the tabs holding
the relay guts to the case/bracket and put the "new" guts in my old
bracket.  Good as new and still going strong, just like the Energizer
bunny.

Pete in PA