Fluctuating Amp Gauge

It depends on what kind of voltage regulator you have.  Did you replace it with
an OEM style relay driven regulator, or did you replace it with a solid state
type?
If it is the relay type, chances are it needs (the relays) to be adjusted.  One
of the relays may be sticking, thus not being able to excite the field winding
(rotor) in your alternator under load.
If it is the solid state type, your problem is most likely the reference it is
getting for regulation.  It should be the + terminal of the battery. (actually,
this applies to both styles)
A stretch may be the fact that one of your new battery cables needs a
connection tightened or cleaned if it's on a corroded or rusted surface.  The
headlights put a fairly good load on the charging system, and a poor connection
can make things heat up and act crazy.

You may want to hold on to the regulator you replaced.  It probably still works
well.  Just remember to never remove a battery terminal while a car is running.
 It is the quickest way to destroy a regulator, or derate one of the diodes in
the alternator.  This condition is called a load dump, and it generates a surge
of 40 and up to 60V on your entire electrical system.  Usually the battery
winds up getting the punch, and it can be very dangerous.  (The battery in a
car's electrical system is also the filter capacitor that maintains a very
constant DC level - not to be confused with the RF noise from plugs firing, and
the ignition coil which has high frequency components and requires a different
kind of filtering).

Good luck with your troubleshooting

Regards,

Chris Middlebrook