Dash Progress

--- Rob P <fristpenny@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Congratulations Jim,
> How dim does it seem during the day?  I've had
> several Mopars with the
> digital dash. One is even an Imperial! If there was
> a drawback it was that I
> never noticed the lights weren't on because the dash
> was so easy to read at
> night. The only thing the lights did/do is to
> illuminate the switches. I'm
> wondering if maybe your dimming isn't set up right.
> Rob

        Well, this unit is the one which was optionally put
in 90's Imps (and hence putting it in my Dynasty will
make the interior more imp-like....).
        Basically the unit is backlite LED displays. At day
use, the pilot lamps behind the Led displays turn on.
When the headlights are on, those lights are all
turned off, and then 4 small pilot lamps at the top of
the cluster's PCB turn on and can be dimm controled.
The problem is that these 4 lights are not behind the
led displays, and so they don't light up well. At
night, you can see, not all that well, and turning
down the brightness (dimm control) only makes them
darker. I suspect that the problem is that of the
design and things would have been better if they kept
all the displays backlit all the time. I know that
when consumer reports complained about the AC/AY's
(yes, they voted against our 90's Imperials.... b/c of
the A604, and "problems with the electronics
package..."), they mentioned that buys should avoid
the digital dash- they never said why in the
articles......

        This coming weekend I hope to fix my lose connection
so the dash stops turning off at random times- and
I've got to fix that fuel level gauge so I know how
much fuel is in the car- right now it says I have a
1/8 of a tank all the time....
        If I can' figure out how to get the fuel level gauge
in the digital cluster to work right, I may have to
make my own fuel level gauge using LED's or something
so that I know how much is in the tank..... or I may
cut off the fuel level gauge from the analog cluster
and install it to the back of my hoodscoop- so I can
still see what kind of fuel level I have.....