Rebuild or not to rebuild

Hi all,  (long post)

I'm gonna ask some questions -please send any reply
off list thanx.

After listening to what others have said, I am trying
to decide wether or not I should do a rebuild of my
Imp's 318.

I have never attempted such a big job.  It's not the tearing down
and reassembling that I am hesitant about, it's the
'getting the engine out and back into' the car that I
am leery of.  (A friend of mine bought a book and did a rebuild of
his 'Cuda's 318 and it worked out OK.)

Positives would be:

It would be a great learning experience.
(My son wants to be an auto mechanic and he would be helping.)
I can replace stuff I know might need it anyway.  (freeze plugs,
timing chain, cam, lifters and maybe even rings.)
I can repaint the engine.  (Needs it badly.)
I can redo the engine compartment.
I can leave the car and engine in the garage while I work on it.
It's a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

Negatives would be:

I have no experience at such a large job.
If I screw up I have a VERY large boat anchor.
I'm sure I don't have all the tools I will need.
I don't have an engine stand or a hoist.

If I just replace the oil pump, and clean the screen
and there's still no pressure, I'd have to do the bearings
anyway right?  What would that entail?  Send it out to
a machine house?

How expensive would it be to have the engine rebuilt
by a shop?  And, how far into it would I have to have them go?
Overbore and all that??  (I hope not.)

Anyway, ANY advice/stories at all would be a BIG help.

Thank you.  (Sorry to bother you with this, but I sure
wanted to bring the car to Carlisle again this year.  Oh well.)

Dan Wing
Marcy, NY  USA

imp1983@xxxxxxxx

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!