The raison d'etre of the IML

In many ways the IML no longer needs any new posts.  Everything has been
discussed, over and over.  Just about any question that can be asked or
answered is already in the archives.  Some threads re-emerge with high
frequency - Budd brakes come to mind.  Other eras have moments in the spot
light and fade back behind the "high traffic" years which, by force of
numbers, will invariably predominate the mailing list.

But, if we go all the way back to first principles, we will find that one of
the main reasons this list, and the OIC, remains so alive and vital is the
fellowship it brings.  Before I found this list I could hardly find anyone
at all even remotely interested in my car, except, of course, to say things
like, "What a waste of a Hemi."  I used to be a lot more active here than I
am now, and also made some useful, I hope, contributions to the 1958 page.
Now a different set of names dominate the list since only this time last
year.  In my opinion, this is fantastic.  What it means is a newer group is
exploring all there is to know about their Imperials and enjoying some much
needed companionship as they negotiate the finer points of caring for them.

Personally, I have no more interest in the Chrysler Imperial Rose than I do
problems with Auto Temp II systems.  I scan them and move on.  No big deal.
I am delighted, however, that folks who are interested have a forum for
encountering what are probably new ideas for them, and possibilities that
they could not find anywhere else.

I have no time for those who use the phrase, "clogging up the list."  These
are the messages I delete as quickly as possible before I get too annoyed at
some self appointed guardian who would impose his or her narrow focus upon
the rest of us.  Restricting Imperial related speech on this list is simply
too costly for the majority of us who look forward to maybe encountering
some aspect of our cars we either had never thought of or had simply
forgotten.

Hugh Hemphill