Heat soak & my starter motor

It did not have a problem like this.

The original starter failed to disengage the pinion gear when I released
the key from "start" mode.  I drove the car not knowing what that rattling
noise was until I stopped it and restarted and figured out that I'd just
fried the starter.

The new starter works so much better/stronger that aside from this current
problem, I'm very happy to have swapped it out.

-K